Saturday, November 29, 2008

Of Blogging and Christmas Cakes

Greetings Dear Readers:

Today I have embarked on two monumental tasks. First of all, after certainly no malice, and hardly any aforethought, I have decided to enter the world of blogging. Along with my dear friend, Silken Purse, I am entering this "brave new world" to post my thoughts, my ideas, and my flights of fancy. Who knows the heights to which we will ascend? The world is just a-flutter with possibilities!
Secondly, with liquid Christmas cheer to my left and a sharp knife to my right, I am combining the various candied fruits and nuts for what I hope will become my annual Christmas cake bake. Ah yes, 'tis the season! With Christmas just over three weeks away, and barely enough time to properly age my culinary creations, I will pop the dark cake into a slow oven tomorrow morning, after the fruit has had time to marinate in fragrant Napoleon brandy. Today I will concentrate on the light fruit cakes which don't require the pre-soak, along with a recipe entitled "Wexford Raisin Cake" given to me by a most obliging voice student of my husband's. After tucking the cakes away to rest until the Yuletide, I will immerse myself in my annual tradition of cookie creating; Mom's Sugar Cookies, made with a hint of nutmeg, Whipped Butter Shortbread and finally, delicious Gingerbread which will this year. take the shape of snowflakes, as I was fortunate enough to procure a set of incredible snowflake cookie cutters! I would love to share with you my Mom's delicious sugar cookie recipe, and I will do so tomorrow or Monday, when I have a bit more time at my disposal. Hopefully I will also be able to post some photographs of my much-anticipated Christmas Cakes., and other delicacies. I do hope they turn out well! New recipes are always a bit risky. Do you have any recipes you would like to share; ones that have been tested and tried by you?
Apart from baking, I enjoy entertaining, attending Christmas-themed concerts like Handel's "Messiah", and directing and performing in dramatic readings of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". So, dear reader, what are some of your Christmas preparatory traditions? I would dearly and sincerely love to know. Whatever you do during this blessed time of year, I hope and pray that you and yours will find peace and joy in remembering Him who is the Reason for the Season.

Sincerely

Scone Queen





No comments: